Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for international students looking for an admission in US universities and colleges for higher studies. TOEFL measures the capability of inherited speakers of English to use, spoken, written and heard in college and university settings.
Most people who take the TOEFL test are planning to study in aboard and for English proficiency. In addition, many government agencies, scholarship programs, and affiliate /certification agencies use TOEFL scores to evaluate English proficiency.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is superintending by Educational Testing Services (ETS) across the world. Educational Testing Services (ETS) sets the questions and conducts the test. For the conducting a TOEFL test, ETS has appointed Testing Agencies in various countries, which act as franchisee for ETS. In India TOEFL test is conduct at 9 centers those are Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Bangalore, Calcutta, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, New Delhi, and Trivandrum.
Eligibility for TOFEL Test:
Minimum eligibility for TOFEL test is passed his/her 10+2 level examination from any recognized Indian Board.
Some institutions have listed below, which excuse the student from taking the TOEFL examinations:
- Non-Local speakers who hold degrees or diplomas from institutions in English-speaking countries (e.g., the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand).
- Non-Local speakers who have successfully completed at least a two-years courses of study in which English was the language of instruction.
- Non-Local speakers who have taken the TOEFL test within the past two years.
- Non-Local speakers who have successfully pursued academic work at schools where English was the language of instruction in an English-speaking country for a specified period, generally two years.
How to Score in TOEFL:
To earn a score on the TOEFL test, you must do all of the following:
- answer at least 1 question in the Reading section
- answer at least 1 question in the Listening section
- write at least 1 essay in the Writing section
- finish at least 1 task in the Speaking section
You will receive a score for each section and a total score for the entire test. You will also receive feedback on entire test and a description of tasks that test takers can do within the score range for each level.
When is the TOEFL test held?
TOEFL test is computer based and held in round the year. Not like other exams, in TOFEL you can choose your own date and time for taking the test. The test is conducted in the above mention major cities from Monday to Friday and twice-a-day. If you want a take a TOFEL test in the month of September to December is the high season, and you need to register 90days in advance to get a date of your choice. Or else, registering at least three days in advance is mandatory. The test held roughly 4 1/2 hours.
No. of Questions
Register for the TOEFL Test
At present more than 6000 Colleges and universities, professional schools, and affiliated institutions accept TOEFL scores. The TOEFL test deals with English language expertise in reading, listening and writing and conduct on computer in most regions of the world. In those areas where there is no access of computer-based testing there paper-and-pencil version of the test is administered.
Register for the TOEFL® iBT
Check your location before you register, if you're not sure the iBT is offered there. In China, register at http://toefl.etest.net.cn/ or see http://www.neea.edu.cn/. In Korea, see the ETS Korea website.
Book TOEFL Test Online:
- Register anytime — 24/7 services.
- Payment mode - Pay with a credit/debit card: American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, MasterCard®, or Visa®. Or, use an electronic check (e-check) if you have a bank account in the United States or its territories.
NOTE: American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, and e-checks will NOT be accepted for the following locations:
Nigeria, Kenya, , Ghana, Cote D’Ivoire, Benin, Togo,Cameroon
Payment methods are subject to change without notice.
- Registration closes 7 days before your test date.
- Late registration closes 3 days before your test date (not including the day of the test) and has a late fee of US$25.
- Need help registering online? Use our step-by-step guide (PDF).
- Have a look over registration form (PDF) before you call. Spell your name exactly as it is spelled on the identification you will bring on test day.
- Inside the U.S., U.S. territories and Canada, call: 1-800-468-6335 or 1-443-751-4862.
- All other locations, call your Regional Registration Center (PDF).
- Pay with credit/debit card: American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, MasterCard®, or Visa®. Or, use an electronic check (e-check) if you have a bank account in the United States or its territories.
- Registration closes 7 days before your test date (not including the day of the test).
- Late registration closes at 5 p.m. local test center time on the business day before the test and has a late fee of US$25.
- Download and fill out a Registration Form (PDF). Spell your name exactly as it is spelled on the identification you will bring on test day.
- See list of payment methods on the form and choose one.
- Send the form with your payment to the address on the form or to your Regional Registration Center (PDF).
- Forms must be received at least 4 weeks before your earliest test date.
- If you do not receive a confirmation, call the location where you mailed your paperwork – at least 3 business days before your deadline.
- See Code Lists for Registering by Mail.
In Person at Resource Centers
- You can purchase test fee vouchers with local currency and or register in person at resource centers.
- If you don't want to register at the center, you can use a payment voucher to register online from any computer.
- Registration deadline is 7 days before the test date.
- Late registration closes 3 days before your test date and has a late fee of US$25.
- View locations for in-person registration.
- When you register, make sure to spell your name exactly as it is spelled on the identification you bring on test day.
Note: Walk-in registration at the test center is not allowed.
For information on registration, test centers, score reports or the test itself:
E-mail: Fill out the form
Phone: 1-609-771-7100 or 1-877-863-3546
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m., Eastern Time (New York)
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Recorded information is available 24 hours a day with a touch-tone phone. Phones are busiest on Monday.
Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA
Courier or Delivery Service:
TOEFL® Services (25Q-310)
Distribution and Receiving Center
225 Phillips Boulevard
Ewing, NJ 08628-7435, USA
address (include country)
date of birth
test delivery method (Internet-based or paper-based)
registration number (if you have one)
daytime telephone number (U.S. residents)
- Combined Defense Services Exams
- Combined Medical Services Exams
- Engineering Services Exam
- National Defense Academy Exam
- Indian Forest Services Exam
- Assistants Grade Exam
- Stenographers Exam
- Clerks Grade Exam
- Divisional Accountants Exam
- SSC Combined Matric Preliminary Exams
- IAF Airman Exams
- Indian Navy Sailors Matric Entry Recruitment Exam
- Indian Navy Artificer Apprentices Exam
- Indian Army Soldiers MER Exam
- Indian Army Soldiers Clerks Exam
- Indian Army Soldiers General Duty Exams