Study in UK Study in USA

Study in USA
USA Education Guide USA - Travel Guide US - Universities
Business Schools in USA Education Consultants United States

Each institution has its own requirement for admissions, so it is very important to carefully read the information available on the school’s web site or the directions on the application form before you begin. Most schools will require some or all of the following documents: an application form that includes important information about you, certified copies of all academic  records (diplomas, transcripts, etc.), standardized test reports (for example, the TOEFL and/or the SAT, GMAT, or GRE), a statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and evidence of financial resources to pay for the education or a financial aid application and also an Affidavit of support from the sponsors. In addition, most schools charge an application fee.

How to study Masters Degree in USA. What tests must I take to be considered for graduate admission?

You are required to take the following tests to be considered for admission in any of the US Universities.

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):

Almost all U.S. institutions require international applicants whose native language is not English to demonstrate their English language proficiency .A new, Internet-based version of the TOEFL test (TOEFL iBT) has been introduced beginning in 2006. The
TOEFL iBT score assesses speaking, listening, reading, and writing.

Graduate Record Examination (GRE):

The GRE test is required for students to enroll in masters or doctoral programs in the arts, sciences, humanities, and engineering fields. It consists of two independent tests, the General GRE and the Subject GRE. The General Test is a computer test that measures verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing skills developed over a long period of time and not necessarily related to a particular field of study.

What is the Visa I should get to study in USA?

F1 Visa

Is there any specific website that I can refer to get more details?

How much is the cost of studying in USA?

In USA the cost of studying includes the Tuition fee and the living expenses. For one year at university in the U.S.A you should have a total budget of (school, lodging, food, living) somewhere between $15,000 and $38,000.

What are the opportunities for work after the completion of my Masters in USA?

Here are a few of the most common options applicable to graduates. Practical Training -An F-1 student is generally entitled up to one year of post-completion practical training. Authorization for this type of practical training may be granted for a maximum of 12 months and only starts once you have graduated or completed your course of study.

Steps to

1. Email or write to several schools:

After you have selected those schools where you want to study, contact them for more information and an application form.

2. Send application forms:

The Admissions Office or postgraduate school department will send you information about their academic programs. This will include an application form. (You might be able to obtain a specific school's application form at your local educational advising center.) The application form usually asks for:

Certified transcripts:

U.S. colleges and universities usually base their admissions decisions on a student's academic record. The Admissions Office will look at your marks during the last four years of secondary school and on the national secondary school examinations in your country. If you are applying to graduate school, the Admissions Office or department will look at your marks from college or university. The mark sheet will bear the signature of the registrar or another academic official and either a raised or ink stamp or seal of the issuing institution.


Make a list of clubs to which you belong, awards earned, team sports experience or leadership roles you have exercised.

Personal information:

State your name, age, address, family background, birthplace, citizenship, and so forth.

Education plan /or Statement of Purpose:

Write a short essay telling why you want to attend this school, what course of study you want to pursue, what your career goals and research plans and how you intend to accomplish these goals.

Letters of recommendation:

The application form will probably include several blank pages to be completed by your teachers. Most Universities ask for  three current letters of recommendation from persons qualified to evaluate your academic and professional qualifications ,Ask  several of your teachers to complete the forms and mail them directly to the Admissions Office.(The letters should beif sifned by a college professor should be  signed and sealed with a college  authorized  seal.

Admissions tests:

Most schools ask for official reports of test scores which could be GRE or GMAT/TOEFL for Masters/MBA Program and Phd programs. It is recommended that you plan to take the required exam in October-Dec time frame  (or as early as possible Year earlier J) to allow sufficient time for scores to arrive in time for consideration for Fall August –September admission

Application fee:

You will pay the school a fee, probably between US $30 and $50, payable by check in U.S. dollars. This money pays for processing your application, and it will not be refunded if you do not attend the school.Be sure to send your application to the college or university well before the deadline.

3. Register for admissions tests:

Students applying to U.S. colleges and universities must take examinations that measure aptitude and achievement like GMAT and GRE. International students must also take a test that measures English proficiency (TOEFL).These tests are given at test centers around the world. They are "standardized," so that students take the same test at every test center. Your scores give the Admissions Office a uniform international standard for measuring your ability in comparison with other students. In India these tests are held in most major cities round the year.

4. Take the admissions tests:

You can have your test scores sent directly to the colleges and universities to which you are applying. You will be asked to indicate the names of these schools when you register to take certain tests, such as the GMAT/ TOEFL/GRE/SAT, you will mark them on your answer sheet when you take other tests, such as TOEFL. The testing agencies will mail your scores to these schools. Later, for a fee, you can ask the testing agencies to send your scores to other schools.

5. Financial Certificate  (Affidavit of Support)

In order to meet U.S. Immigration requirements for entry into the United States, proof of sufficient financial resources to cover educational and living expenses for the duration of your program must be in place before visa documents can be issued. A completed Financial Certificate outlining financial support available to you, along with original evidence to support the amounts indicated (bank statements, scholarship letters, etc.), must be submitted directly to the program to which you are applying. Please attach a photocopy of the identification page of your passport

Acceptance Letters

After the application deadline, you will receive letters from the schools to which you have applied. Some schools tell students if they have been accepted soon after the students documents arrive at the Admissions Office. This is called "rolling admissions." Other schools wait several months before writing you with their decision. Acceptance letters can also be provisional pending degree completion and  all marksheets (Final Year marksheets
Paying Your Deposit

Most schools require students to pay a deposit before a certain deadline if they want to reserve space in the entering class. For international students, this deposit can be as high as a semester's or a full year's tuition.

You should send your deposit immediately if you are applying for financial aid or if you plan to live in college housing. Many schools do not have enough campus housing for all the students, so you will have a better chance of getting a room on campus if you send your housing application and a room deposit fee as soon as possible.

The school that admits you may also ask you for a statement that shows how much money you have available for all the years you will be in school. If your government or company is sponsoring you, you will need to send details of your award.

Student Application Calendar

  • 12-month Countdown Until Enrollment
  • 12-18 months before you hope to enroll
  • 12-18 months before you hope to enroll
  • Consider you reasons for studying in the USA
  • which universities interest you? Can you afford them?
  • Visit advising office August
  • Write to schools for catalogs and application forms.
  • Register for standardized tests (TOEFL, SAT, ACT, GMAT, GRE, MAT, etc.)
  • Take any required test before you submit applications. September - November
  • Ask your school to send official transcripts with the applications.
  • Ask your teachers to write letters of recommendation.
  • Complete and mail applications.
    January - April
  • Be sure you and your school have met all application deadlines.
    April - June
  • Receive letters of acceptance/rejection. Decide where to study. Inform all schools by completing and submitting any forms they require.
  • Organize your finances; apply for housing and medical insurance.
    Summer Months
  • Make travel plans.
  • Contact your school's International Student Advisor with your arrrival plans.
  • Attend pre-departure orientation

What is Needed to Apply for a Student Visa?

All applicants for a student visa must provide:

A Form I-20 obtained from a U.S. college, school or university. Please be sure to give us all four pages of the I-20 form. The form must also be signed by you and by a school official in the sappropriate places;

A completed nonimmigrant visa application form (OF-156) with photo for each person applying. A separate form is needed for children, even if they are included in a parent's passport. These forms are available at the Embassy at no charge.

A passport valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the United States;

A receipt for visa processing fee. A receipt showing payment of the visa application fee for each applicant, including each child listed in a parent's passport who is also applying for a U.S. visa, is needed;

All applicants should be prepared to provide:

Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended;

Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.;

Financial evidence that shows you or your parents who are sponsoring you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If you or your sponsor own a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.

Applicants with dependents must also provide:

Proof of the student's relationship to his/her spouse and/or children (e.g., marriage and birth certificates.)

It is preferred that families apply for F-1 and F-2 visas at the same time, but if the spouse and children must apply separately at a later time, they should bring a copy of the student visa holder's passport and visa, along with all other required documents.

What Items Does a Returning Student Need?

All applicants applying for renewals must submit:

A passport valid for at least six months;

A completed and signed application form (OF-156) with photo for each person applying. A separate form is needed for children, even if they are included in a parent's passport. These forms are available at the Embassy at no charge;

A receipt for visa processing fee. A receipt showing payment of the visa application fee for each applicant, including each child listed in a parent's passport who is also applying for a U.S. visa, is needed;

A new I-20 or an I-20 that has been endorsed on the back by a school official within the past 12 months;

All applicants applying for renewals should be prepared to submit:

A certified copy of your grades from the school in which you are enrolled;

Financial documents from you or your sponsor, showing your ability to cover the cost of your schooling.

How long may I stay on my F-1 student visa?

When you enter the United States on a student visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status. That means you may stay as long as you are a full time student, even if the F-1 visa in your passport expires while you are in America.

For example, if you have a visa that is valid for five years that will expire on January 1, 2001, and you are admitted into the U.S. for the duration of your studies (often abbreviated in your passport or on your I-94 card as "D/S"), you may stay in the U.S. as long as you are a full time student. Even if January 1, 2001 passes and your visa expires while in America, you will still be in legal student status. However, if you depart the U.S. with an expired visa, you will need to obtain a new one before being able to return to America and resume your studies. A student visa cannot be renewed or re-issued in the United States; it must be done at an Embassy or Consulate abroad.
How to find any immigration help/ legal help?

How to associate myself with local Indian student community in  USA?

Most Universities have an Indian Student Association where in one  can contact the students  to get help in terms of airport pickup ,initial accommodation at the University. Each state will have a Indian community. Also you will find Language community in each state. For example, Tamil association, Telugu association etc will be there in each state.