The well known physics research laboratory in Calcutta that grew out from the palit research laboratory is known as Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP). In the year 1938, Professor M. N Saha have come back from Allahabad. He came back in order to gain over Sir C V Raman in the popular Palit chair of Physics. Professor has carried on with various experiments in Physics and developed many theories of nuclear physics. This has contributed a lot in the field of betterment of the nation.
Syllabus of post graduate in physics is re organized by the scholar named Professor M. N Saha in the year 1940. In the physics curriculum he has effectively included the nuclear physics. Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP) is established in the honor of well known professor named Professor M. N Saha of Kolkata. He has also undertaken the multifarious experiments in the field of nuclear physics. He had started his own laboratory and started experiments. In order to get the first hand knowledge, Professor had felt the necessity of small scale cyclotron. He acquired a good knowledge in the virgin field. Professor wished to build rather than buying.
The foundation stone was laid in the building where the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP) was placed. The foundation stone was laid by Dr ShyamaPrasad Mookherjee. The year was 1949. In this particular year the building of Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP) was inaugurated formally by Madame Irene Joliot Curie. The perfect date of inauguration of Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP) building Is 11th of January 1950. The foundation stone was laid for the student’s hall in the particular nuclear physics laboratory center. But in the year 1956 16th of February, Professor Saha passed away. Thus, the institute was renamed as Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP). The organization has become a memory centre for the well known professor who has actually contributed a lot towards the nuclear physics institute.