Career Option in Marine Engineering
Marine engineering is a branch of Engineering that deals with nautical architecture and science. The term 'Marine Engineering' is meant for research conducted in oceans and coastal or inland waters connected to the sea. Marine Engineering courses deal with construction and maintenance of ships and other sailing vessels.
Education Details & Eligibility:
A person aspiring to get into the field of Marine Engineering has to obtain one of the following degrees or any other related courses to become a certified profession.
- B.E. in (Marine Engineering)
- M.E in (Marine Engineering)
Basic eligibility criteria:
10th / +2 (Higher Secondary students) with any group as the majors are eligible for these programs.Course Duration:
Training in this field is available at a number of schools and institutes all over India. These courses are offered at the levels of
The course duration for the various programs is as follows:
- B.E. (Marine Engineering) Degree is around four years.
- M.E (Marine Engineering) is around two years.
Approximate Education Expenses:
The Total expense for doing a course in Marine Engineering at any internationally recognized institute is as follows
B.E - Rs.40000/ year - (4 Years)
M.E - Rs.55000/year - (2 Years)
Bank loans and private loans can be easily arranged by directly contacting the banks through the college administrative.
C.Institutions that Offers this Education:
Almost all the deemed and general universities offer degree in Marine Engineering in India and abroad. Some of the institutions are:
- Maritime Education Training & Research Institute
- Sri Chakra Maritime College
- Dr.B.R.Ambedkar Govt.Polytechnic
- Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies
- Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education & Training
- Tolani Maritime Institute
- Commander Ali's Academy of Merchant Navy
- Sri venkateshwara College of Engineering
- Columbus Maritime Training Institute
- Baba Marine Institute
- Mariner's Academy
- Tamilnadu Maritime Academy
- PSN College of Engineering Technology
- Mohamed Sathak Engineering College ,Kilakarai
- R.L Institute of nautical science, Madurai
D.Job Opportunities and Job Roles:
Lots of lucrative and interesting openings are there for marine engineering graduates in various fields like:
- Shipping industries
- Directorate General of Shipping
- Educational institutes
E.Approximate Salary Range:
The salary can be from Rs.15, 000 to Rs.26, 000 for freshers and increases with the persons experience and knowledge.
The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers is an internationally recognized nonprofit, technical, professional society of individual members serving the maritime and offshore industries and their suppliers.
Web site link:‚ http://www.sname.org