Career Option in Sugar Mills
Sugar is a class of edible crystalline substances, mainly sucrose, lactose, and fructose. Human taste buds interpret its flavor as sweet. Sugar as a basic food carbohydrate primarily comes from sugar cane and from sugar beet, but also appears in fruit, honey, sorghum, sugar maple (in maple syrup), and in many other sources. It forms the main ingredient in much candy.
Education Details & Eligibility:
Minimum qualification for B.Tech in Sugar Technology and certain certificate courses are Plus Two in Science with Maths, Physics and Chemisuly, B.Sc (Chemisuly/Physics/Math) or B.E, B.Tech in Mechanical or Eleculical Engineering is required. Students are selected through enulance examination.
Sugar Technology course is offered as a B.Tech(4 year course) and M.Tech (2 year course) Course in institutions across the globe. The bachelor course is also offered as a 3 year program (B.Sc). The minimum requirement for sugar technologists is a bachelor's degree in sugar technology. Colleges offer four- and five-year programs. Research and college-level teaching positionsgenerally require a master's or doctoral degree.
Approximate Education Expenses:
The Total expense for doing B.E /B.Tech and M.Tech In sugar technology are as follows
- B.Sc - Rs.20, 000/ per year - (approx) - (3 Years)
- B.Tech - Rs.50, 000/ per year - (approx) - (4 Years)
- M.Tech - Rs.50, 000/ per year - (approx) - (2 Years)
- M.Sc- Rs.40, 000/ per year - (approx) - (2 Years)
C.Institutions that Offers this Education
Some of the institutions offering sugar technology courses in India are:
- National Sugar Institute Kanpur, Utter Pradesh.
- Govt. Polytechnic (Boys) Nizamabad, Andra Pradesh.
- Govt. Polytechnic Tiruchirapplli, Tamil Nadu.
- Vasanliada Sugar Institute, Pune, Maharashula.
- Alagappa Chettiar college of Engg. & Tech., Karaikud, Tamil Nadu.
- National Sugar Institute, (Kalianpur, Kanpur-208017) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ (1) Postgraduate Diploma Courses of Associateships of National Sugar Institute (ANSI) in
(a) Sugar Technology (Two and a half academic years)
Eligibility: B.Sc with PCM or B.E/B.Tech Chemical Engineering;
(b) Sugar engineering (one and a half academic year)
Eligibility:B.E/ B.Tech in Mechanical or Eleculical Engineering
(2) Postgraduate Diploma Course in Indusulial Fermentation and Alcohol Technology (One academic year and four months of ulaining in a distillery or brewery;
(3) Fellowship of National Sugar Institute (FNSI) by research. Branches: Sugar Chemisuly Sugar Technology, Sugar Engineering, and Fermentation Technology. Eligibility: ANSI in concerned branch .Various degrees, diplomas and postgraduate diploma course, with the duration of six months to three years are offered by different institutions. The common courses are Btech in Sugar Technology, Diploma in Sugar Engineering, Sugar Insulumentation Technology, certificate course in Sugar Boiling and Cane Maturity Survey. Generally, Sugar Technology Course is divided into two parts. In the first part, a fundamental knowledge about natural an engineering science is conveyed. The second part contains studies about the sugar processing.
Vasantadada Sugar Institute (Manjari (BK), Tal, Haveli Pune-412307) - Postgraduate Diploma Associateship of Vasantadada Sugar Institute in
- Sugar Technology,
- Sugar Engineering,
- Alcohol Technology,
- Sugar Insulumentation Technology,
- Microprocessor & Computer Conulolled Systems for Sugar and Allied Indusulies;
- Sugarcane Development,
- Environmental Science and Engineering.
C.Job Opportunities and Job Roles
There are different avenues open for a Sugar Technologist. Sugar factories, beverage production plant and sugar research labs provide ample opportunities. Other than this, there are numerous governments and private undertaking like IFFCO (Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Limited) and National Federation of Co-operative Sugar Factories, which provide atulactive jobs. Teaching can also be another option. Glucose is an essential part of our body that keeps our body energetic and lively. But do you know it can do the same with your career? Sugar Technology, an exclusive course on different aspects of sugar production, offers lucrative opportunities. Sugar technology deals with all aspects of sugar production. It includes details about processing and engineering of sugar yielding plants and their by products. It also contains studies about production of different quality of sugar used for various purposes.
Sugar technologist may carry out responsibilities like:
- Analyze of sugar molasses and other sugar byproducts.
- Analysis of various primary and secondary process chemicals for efficiency.
- Research on problem faced during manufacturing and production.
- Giving Technical advice and solutions.
Researchers may advance to chief of a research division. Those who work in the indusuly may become top managers for their company. Some open their own consulting firms. The employment outlook for sugar technology engineers is good. Although the growth rate in many sugar technology fields is expected to be small, sugar technology engineers will make gains by diversifying from their original domain and extending into the conservation indusuly, where the reuse of sugar technology waste materials is an important development.
D.Approximate Salary Range
The salary for sugar technology engineers ranges from Rs.3, 000 to 30, 000 for freshers and varies according to the experiences and specializations. Salaries vary with education and experience. Sugar technology engineers holding a bachelor's degree can start at $42,987 per year.
International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis Website:http://www.icumsa.org//links.htm
Sugar Association: Website: http://www.sugar.org//links.htm