Career Option in Dental
A. Field description:
Dentistry is the art and science of diagnosing, preventing and treating problems of the teeth and the adjacent soft and hard tissues, to enhance esthetics and function.
With repeated use and abuse of the teeth, it is common to have dental problems like decay, cavities and fracture due to accidents. By nature, some have misshapen teeth or misaligned teeth.
Dentists clean the teeth, fill cavities, examine x-rays, place protective plastic sealants on children’s teeth, straighten teeth, and repair fractured teeth. They also perform corrective surgery on gums and supporting bones to treat gum diseases. Dentists extract teeth and make models and measurements for dentures to replace missing teeth. They advice on diet, brushing, flossing, the use of fluoride toothpastes, and other oral hygiene related topics.
B. Education Guide
Education Details & Eligibility:
To become a professional in Dental Science, one should have a graduate degree (B.D.S/M.D.S.) in Dental Science or its related fields. The degree and postgraduate degree courses are offered by the private and government colleges in India.
Basic eligibility criteria:
+2 (Higher Secondary students) with Biology group as major can choose Bachelor’s Degree in Dental Science.
The course duration for the various programs is as follows:
- B.D.S (Bachelor’s Degree in Dental surgery) is 4+1 years.
- M.D.S (Masters in Dental surgery) is 2 years.
Most dental schools abroad award the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS). The rest award an equivalent degree, Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD).
Approximate Education Expenses:
The Total expense for doing Bachelor’s Degree in Dental Science and its related fields are as follows
- B.D.S - Rs.60, 000/ per year - (4+1 Years)
- M.D.S - Rs.75, 000/ per year - (2 Years)
Bank loans and private loans can be easily arranged by directly contacting the banks through the college administration.
A dentist should also develop qualities like
Deep knowledge of the field,
- Good diagnosing ability
- Caring nature
- Good communication and
- Counseling skills
Higher Education Options:
After successful completion of the Bachelor degree, the options for higher education are plenty. A person with the above degree can opt for higher education in the following fields.
- M.D.S( Masters in Dental Science)
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
- Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)
C. Institutions that offers this Education:
Almost all the universities and institutes involving Medicine offer Bachelors degree in Dentistry.
For further details on courses please visit www.StudyGuideIndia.com
D. Job Opportunities and Job Roles:
Fresh graduates/post graduates of Dental Science are generally employed in
hospitals/clinics (both private and Govt.) as
- Junior doctors (Or) Junior surgeons (Or) Junior Residents
- In primary health centers and community health centers.
- charitable institutions
- research institutes as researchers
- Training institutes as teachers, Lecturers & professors.
- Rural health service
- Private dental practitioners
E. Approximately Salary Range:
The salary can be from Rs.10, 000 to Rs.23, 000 for fresh graduates and increases with experience and knowledge.
F. Related Links:
The American Society of Dentist Anesthesiologists (ASDA) comprises a group of dentists who have completed a minimum of two years of full-time postdoctoral training in anesthesiology.
Web site link: http://www.asdahq.org
- Career Option in Drug Regulatory Affairs
- Career in Hospital Profession
- Careers In Ayurveda
- Career Option in Medicine
- Career Option in Dental
- Career Option in Siddha
- Careers In Unani Medicine
- Career Option in Homeopathic
- Career Option in Speech and Language Pathology
- Career Option in Child Care
- Career Option in Physiotherapy
- Career Option in Occupational Therapy
- Career in Medical Lab Technology
- Career Option in Ophthalmology
- Career in Radiology
- Career Option in Nursing
- Career Option in Pharmacy
- Career Option in Forensic Medicine
- Career Option in Psychology
- Career in Yoga
- Career Option in Nutrition And Dietetics