Study in Singapore
Study in Singapore
The List of Top and Best Universites in Singapore, Study abroad options, Scholarships, Colleges, Programs, Courses, Institutes for studying MBA, Business Management, Engineering, Hotel management, Arts & Design, Films & Media, Science & Technology, Animation, Computers & IT and many more programs for studies in Singapore are available here.
The details regarding why study in Singapore, the eligibility and admission procedure for study in Singapore, cost of tution and living, student visa requirements, scholarships available from different Singapore Universities and Government and list of Top Universities in Singapore are also available for reference.
Also available are articles on Study in Singapore, blogs, questions and answers, university reviews, forums, etc. to make informed decisions for studying in Singapore.
International students enrolled in full-time courses in Singapore are permitted to work 16 hours a week during the school year and full time during vacation, without having to apply for any additional permission.Universities and Colleges in Singapore are also known for the range of innovative subjects and quality of education they offer to international students. Study in Singapore is becoming a popular choice for students looking for affordable and quality education abroad.
Why Study in Singapore?
Singapore has a reputation of being a country with transparency and political stability. Its thrust on education is earning it quite a reputation at global level.
By choosing to study abroad in Singapore, international students have an opportunity to not only be a part of an education system that promotes excellence, but also be part of a global community. The country offers scholarships and waiver of tuition fees for good students. Also there are exchange programs conducted by public universities and other countries. This country has the best of both East and West with people from different origins like Indian, Chinese, Malay and Eurasian living here. English is the most commonly used language here.. This multi cultural country celebrates all the festivals. The Singapore Island has a lot of activities and attracts many tourists which makes studying there fun. The country also has multi cuisine restaurants catering to low budget as well as fancy ones serving dishes from world over. It is a cosmopolitan country, having excellent infrastructure with travelling made very easy and affordable for the common man by means of efficient bus service and MRTL. The living facilities are modern yet inexpensive for students with good hostels and home stay options.
There are very good weekend options for adventure lovers and the weather is always bright and sunny. Also, the night life is vibrant with the discos and pub culture very popular in Singapore.
Admission Requirements for Study in Singapore, Singapore Universities Eligibility Criteria, Application Process, Procedure for Study in Singapore:
Following are the eligibility criteria for MBA, Engineering, Bachelors, Masters and PhD programs for getting admission into Singapore universities:
For different levels the eligibility is as specified:-
- For Primary School : Age 6 - 11 , for Secondary School : Age 12 - 16 (0 levels), Institution of Technical Education : After 0 levels can take the national ITE Certificates (NITEC) course for 2 years.or Pre-Tertiary : (Age16) They can study for A levels either at Junior College for 2 years or spend 3 years at Polytechnic to obtain diploma.Tertiary Education: After polytechnic either they can work or continue studies at a University. There are 3 universities and 33 private institutes in Singapore.
- Eligibility criteria differs from University to University. University like NTU, NUS requires 2 years work experience & GMAT is mandatory with 1st class degree. Entry requirements for undergraduates are 85% above. SAT is required for NTU & SMU. NUS doesn't require SAT.
- Private sector: undergraduate required. Postgraduate: first class degree is required.
- A student must choose the institute or university and download their application form. After duly completing the same, it should be sent to the institute along with testimonials of earlier education completed.
- The English language proficiency tests i.e. the IELTS score should also be mentioned in the application.
- After the institute peruses the application it decides the selection of the candidate. If the candidate receives a letter of acceptance from the institution he should apply for a Student’s pass or visa.
Student Visa Requirements for Study in Singapore
A student has to apply for a student pass/ visa if he/ she has been accepted by an educational institution to pursue full-time studies in Singapore, unless he/she is a Dependant's Pass holder studying in a Government/ Government-Aided/ Independent school/ Foreign System School/ Kindergarten registered with MOE or Childcare centre licensed by MCYS; OR Immigration Exemption Order holder; OR Visitor who has been granted a short term Visit Pass at the Singapore Checkpoint and wish to attend a short course that can be completed within the validity of the initial Visit Pass granted to him/her at the Singapore Checkpoint or 30 days, whichever is shorter.
Once the student receives a Letter of Acceptance from the school (with a validity of 2 weeks) the Student’s Pass should be applied for at the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA).For applicants who require a visa to enter Singapore, the application for the Student Pass should be submitted to the ICA at least 2 months before the commencement date of the course.
Note: For a citizen of China who wishes to pursue a language, commercial, vocational or fine arts course at private schools in Singapore (with the exception of students taking a degree or postgraduate degree course and students studying at SQC for PEOs schools), applicant is required to submit Student's Pass application through the Singapore Embassy in Beijing.
With the launch of CaseTrust for Education, all private education institutions will need to have the Case Trust-endorsed Student Protection Scheme, to offer school placement for international students.
Basic Documents Required
From the Applicant,
- 2 copies of Form 16, Form V36 and Form V39S duly completed and signed by applicant and local sponsor at the relevant sections. (The first set of forms must be original.)
- 2 recent passport-sized photographs (BW/ Colour) to be pasted on the top-right hand corner of Form 16
- Applicant’s Official Birth Certificate (in English and photocopy)
- Applicant’s highest education certificates and result transcripts (in English and photocopy)
- Copies of personal particular pages of applicant’s travel document/ passport (photocopy)
Cost of Studying in Singapore, Living Costs, Tuition Fess for Study in Singapore
For Undergraduate programs the fees varies from institute to institute between S$ 6,500-7,500 and for postgraduate programs the fees ranges from S$ 7,500-,8,500.
The standard of living in Singapore is amongst the highest in Asia. Compared to countries in western continents, the cost of living here is relatively low, and basic items like food and clothing are very reasonably priced.
An international student in Singapore spends on average about S$700 to S$2,000 a month on living expenses. This amount of course, varies depending on individual lifestyle and course of study.Study in Singapore Scholarships, Scholarships for Studying in Singapore:
The National University of Singapore (NUS) offers a variety of undergraduate scholarships and awards in recognition of outstanding academic achievements, leadership qualities and special talents.
NUS also offers the NUS Awards for Study Abroad (NASA) to support students in various forms of global exposure opportunities. These opportunities include:
- student exchange programmes (SEP),
- summer programmes and field studies programmes of sufficient duration, and
- overseas joint/double/concurrent/sequential degree programmes.