Career Option in Hotel Management
A. Field description:
Travel today has become a common feature. One travels for leisure and on work. This has given a spurt to the number of hotels coming up in every city. This in turn has given rise to a greater demand for managers who keep the running of the hotels smooth, ensuring the highest quality of service.
A hotel manager or hotelier is required to handle the everyday functions and management of a hotel. Managers work as a team, with each member specializing in a certain area of interest. There are several lines one can pursue if one is interested in this segment.
Hotel management requires the aspirants to be ready for socializing and understanding the needs of the people. Since a good hotel also attracts tourists from abroad, the expectation of quality is that much higher.
B. Education Guide
Education Details & Eligibility:
A person aspiring to get into the field of Hotel management has to obtain one of the following degrees or any other related courses to become a certified profession.
- B.Sc. in Hospitality and Hotel Administration
- M.Sc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration
- Certificate Course in Institutional Hospitality Management
Basic eligibility criteria:
10th +2 (Higher Secondary students) with any group as the majors are eligible for these programs.
Training in this field is available at a number of schools and institutes all over India. These courses are offered at the levels of
The course duration for the various programs is as follows:
- Diploma in Hotel Management is around two years
- B.Sc.(BHM - Bachelor of Hotel Management) Degree is around three years.
- Post Graduate Diploma (OR) M.Sc is around two years.
Approximate Education Expenses:
The total expense for doing a course in Hotel Management at any internationally recognized institute is as follows
Bank loans and private loans can be easily arranged by directly contacting the banks through the college administration.
C. Institutions that offer this education
D. Job Opportunities and Job Roles:
Lots of lucrative and interesting openings are there for hotel management graduates in various fields like:
- Hotel & Restaurant management
- Airline Catering and Cabin Services
- Club management
- Cruise Ship Hotel Management
- Hospital administration and catering
- Hotel and Tourism Associations
- Forest Lodges
- Guest Houses
- Institutional Management
- Catering departments of railways, banks, armed forces, shipping companies.
- Hotel and catering institutes
- Self employment
- Guest/ Customer Relation Executive in Hotel and other Service Sectors
- Kitchen Management/ Housekeeping Management Trainee in Hotels
- Flight Kitchens also offer opportunities for career building
- Executive multi skilled in Fast Food Chains
- Hospital and Institutional Catering Executives
- Faculty in Hotel Management/ Food Craft Institutes
- Cabin Crew in National and International Airlines
- Catering Officer or Chef in Cruise lines
- Marketing/ Sales Executive in Hotel
- Executive in Tourism Development Corporations and Resort properties
- Self employed entrepreneurs
E. Approximate Salary Range:
The salary can be from Rs.9, 500 to Rs.26, 000 for freshers and increases with the person’s experience and knowledge.
F. Related Links:
National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology and its affiliated institutes constantly endeavor to impart Hospitality, knowledge, skills, concepts and techniques in the right environment for the students to learn and emerge as global Hospitality Service providers.
Web site link: http://www.nchmct.org/