Career Option in Music-Singing
A musician is a person who plays or writes music. Musicians can be classified by their roles in creating or performing music:
- An instrumentalist plays a musical instrument.
- singer (or vocalist) uses his or her voice as an instrument.
- Composers, songwriters.
- A recording artist.
Music is a universal sound which can create emotions and express feelings. Music also soothes the mind. There is rarely anybody who is not touched by music in some way at some time in their lives.
Music is such universal media which has the power to transcend all geographical boundaries. It soothes emotions and can express inner feelings. There is rarely anyone among us who is not touched by music in some way or the other. For a career in music, talent, sincerity and willingness to work hard are must. One must have an inborn talent to sing along with zeal for regular practice
Education Details & Eligibility:
To become a professional in the Music industry one should have a graduate degree (B.A) in Music. The degree and postgraduate degree courses are offered by the private and government arts colleges across India.
Basic eligibility criteria:
10th, +2 (Higher Secondary students) with 1 st or 2nd group as the majors can choose Bachelor degree in Music (B.A)
Training in this field is available at a number of schools and institutes all over India. These courses are offered at the levels of
The course duration for the various programs is as follows:
- Diploma in music is around two years.
- B.A (Music) is around three years.
- M.A (Music) is around two years.
Course areas include music theory, music interpretation, history of music, composing, voice instruction etc. Some of the course names are given below for reference:
- B.A Music
- BA in Tabla
- BFA in Sitar
- BFA in Tabla
- Certificate course in Music
- Certificate course in Music Appreciation & Music
- Degree in Music
- Diploma in Sitar
- Diploma in Tabla
- Diploma Proficiency course in Music
- M.A Music
Approximate Education Expenses:
The Total expense for doing Bachelor of Arts in Music is as follows
B.A - Rs.20, 000 per year - (3 Years).
M.A - Rs.35, 000 per year - (2 years).
Bank loans and private loans can be easily arranged by directly contacting the banks through the college administrative.
The one that top the list is a good voice. Other attributes are as follows:
- Determination and
- Hard work,
- Team work,
- Self confidence,
- Creativity and
- Ambition etc
Higher Education Options:
After successful completion of the Bachelor degree, the options for higher education are plenty. A person with the above degree can opt for postgraduate degree in Music.
C.Institutions that Offers this Education:
Almost all the deemed and general universities offer Bachelor degree in Music. Some of them are as follows:
- University Of Calcutta
- Atilde University Of Delhi
- Atilde University Of Rajasthan
- Delhi Music Society New Delhi
- Himachal Pradesh University
- Indira Kala Sangit Vishwavidyalaya
- Jai Narain Vyas University,(Rajasthan)
- Institute of Music, Dance Dramatics
- Banaras Hindu University
- Dayalbagh Educational Institute, Agra
- Jai Prakash Vishwa Vidyalaya, Bihar
- Kurukshetra University, Haryana
- Saraswati Music College New Delhi
- Lalit Narayan Mithila University, Bihar
- Shri Krishnadevaraya University, Andhra Pradesh
- Siddhu Kanhu University, Bihar
- Tilka Manjhi Bhagalpur University, Bihar.
D.Job Opportunities and Job Roles:
A Talented and qualified persons who has completed B.A in Music has a wide opportunities in the following fields and jobs
- Performer (vocal or instrumental)
- Composer/song writer,
- Music publisher,
- Music journalist,
- Disc Jockeys/ Video Jockeys,
- Music Therapist,
- Artist manager
- Television channels
- Private FM channel stations
- Music channels
- Music troupes
- Music companies
E.Approximate Salary Range:
The salary can be from Rs.6, 500 to Rs.18, 000 for freshers and increases with the persons experience and knowledge.
The Society for Music Theory was founded in 1977. The Society holds annual meetings, publishes journals, and encourages scholarly excellence by giving awards for outstanding publications in music theory.
Web site link:http://www.societymusictheory.org